Director of Construction
Location: Columbus, OH
As Director of Construction Management, you are responsible for leading the company’s construction management team engaged in building digital signage and other large-format media displays across the United States.
Since our founding in Columbus in 2004, OBM has pioneered a community-oriented model of outdoor media development and are now nationally recognized by cities and real estate owners alike seeking to implement best-in-class programs that add to the character of urban places. As we continue to develop our existing markets and expand to new markets, OBM is looking for an experienced leader with the ability to work with a wide range of internal and external clients to develop dynamic media installations. You will oversee a department focused on timely and cost-effective project delivery, while meeting best-in-class expectations of final fit and finish. The Construction Management department is also heavily relied upon by Business Development for assistance in the design and estimating of prospective projects.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Lead and develop our team managing the procurement of services and materials to build large format media in markets across the United States. Develop and standardize a strategy and process to maximize predictability and minimize construction cost and time.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of project managers and engineers including design, estimating, permitting, construction, utility coordination, equipment delivery, installation, and activation.
- Work with the Business Development team to evaluate projects for construction feasibility, cost estimation, and delivery timelines.
- Act as the point of contact between us and our real estate partners and municipal entities during construction phase, to allow project success while considering local process, requirements, and restrictions.
- Manage relationships with external construction partners including architects, engineers, general contractors, subcontractors, consultants, vendors, and other project partners.
- Analyze and recommend the best procurement structure for each project (design-build, design-bid-build, single prime, multi-prime…) to ensure that we have a competitive bid process that leads to the best results on time, cost and quality.
- Organize, build, and manage our internal construction department, to maximize our performance and capabilities.
- Be as on site and hands-on as required.
- Seasoned leader and manager with 10 or more years of experience in construction management, preferably for an urban developer or commercial construction contractor.
- Hands-on leader who can think and act strategically, who can develop and standardize normal operating procedures, and interface well with those in the office and at the jobsite.
- Proven experience accomplishing results by leading direct reports, contracted personnel, and partner organizations.
- A “been there, done that” construction professional, who understands traditional approaches to managing engineers, contractors, consultants, and government bureaucracies but also has the drive and skill to innovate and find solutions that dramatically reduce cost and scope. And the leadership skills to inspire internal staff and external stakeholders to follow.
- History of collaboration with cities and developers on new initiatives, accounting for the aesthetics and political dynamics of downtown environments.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management.
- Ability to travel throughout the country as projects demand.
OBM is an equal-opportunity employer, and provides competitive salary/incentive compensation and benefits, 401k match, expense account, free catered lunch daily and a fun and fast paced team-oriented environment.
Please submit resume and cover letter as one PDF to email@example.com.