Location: Columbus, OH
The Development Associate supports multiple functions within the Real Estate Development team. Aiding in OBM’s development and investment activities, this role will work primarily to establish relationships with owners of urban mixed-use properties and with government leaders to obtain entitlements, including legislation or use variances as required. The successful candidate will be passionate about building relationships, urban design, politics, marketing, technology, and travel — and will thrive in an extraordinarily fast-paced and entrepreneurial culture.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Development Department has primary responsibility for growing OBM’s portfolio of assets by identifying, securing and entitling inventory in accordance with company strategy.
- Site identification and engagement with property owners, including development of proposals and presentations, subsequent negotiation of leases,
operating agreements and other documents
- Develops economic models to structure deal terms, underwrite prospective partnerships and investments
- Maintains a thorough understanding of real estate development, public policy and other opportunities and challenges in OBM’s markets and target markets
- Navigates complex regulatory environments through creative solutions
- Manages OBM’s permit acquisition processes, including lobbying (directly and with consultants) of elected and government agency officials, state and local permitting processes
- Overall focus on improving the value of OBM leases and other property agreements by migrating to better forms and improving terms where appropriate
Serves as one of the day-to-day point of contacts between the Company and its landlords/real estate partners and governmental authorities. Ensures other key tasks are being met, including:
- Tracking lease agreement expiration and other deadlines, managing renewal negotiation process with landlords
- Collaborates with Accounting Department to deliver financial reporting, payables as required
- Collaborates with Sales Department to deliver forecasts and other information as required
- Collaborates with Operations Department to ensure requirements are met with regard to permitting, installation and construction procedures
- Strengthens OBM’s relationships with landlords and partners through proactive communication and relationship building
- Bachelors Degree (BBA and/or MBA a plus)
- Minimum of two-years’ experience in related field (preferably in real estate brokerage/development/finance, but will consider public policy, government or law)
- Candidates are not required to have experience in media or advertising, but all candidates must be eager learn about the out of home advertising industry
OBM is an equal-opportunity employer, and provides competitive salary/incentive compensation and benefits, 401k match, expense account, free catered lunch daily and a fun and fast paced team-oriented environment.
ABOUT ORANGE BARREL MEDIA
Since our founding in 2004, OBM has pioneered a community-oriented model of outdoor media development, and is now nationally recognized by cities and real estate owners alike seeking to implement best-in-class programs that add to the character of urban places. OBM has pioneered zoning changes allowing spectacular signage in fifteen markets (and growing), including Los Angeles, Boston, Washington, DC, Atlanta, Denver and other high barrier-to-entry markets. OBM is a leader in smart city infrastructure, launching the IKE interactive kiosk platform in concert with cities across the United States. In the advertising community, OBM is widely recognized as the owner of the highest impact and most memorable advertising locations in the cities where it operates, and OBM displays are consistently selected as the centerpiece of clients’ outdoor advertising campaigns. Our lasered focus has allowed us to create value for three main constituencies – cities, real estate owners, and advertisers, where we are setting a new paradigm in what we call Landmark Advertising.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter as one PDF to email@example.com. Please use “Development Associate” as your email’s subject line.